Piñatex® is a natural, sustainably produced textile that was developed for use as a sustainable alternative to both mass-produced leather and synthetic materials, offering a great choice for a more sustainable future.
Piñatex® is made from the leaves of the pineapple plant, the byproduct of the fruit industry, which is traditionally discarded or burned. Adding value to this waste has created a new source of income for farming communities who otherwise rely on a seasonal harvest.
- No additional environmental resources required for raw material.
- No chemicals on the Cradle2cradle list of banned substances used in production.
- Closed-loop production – residual leaf biomass is used as natural fertilizer/biofuel.
- The non-woven mesh is biodegradable.
- 16 Pineapple plants or 480 Pineapple leaves = 1 Square meter of Piñatex®
- Outstanding performance: Strong, lightweight and flexible.